Guyland: The Perilous World Where Boys Become Men

Recorded Nov. 17, 2011 in Mayser Gymnasium.

Watch a 2-minute highlights video of this event.

Michael Kimmel, Distinguished Professor of Sociology at the State University of New York at Stony Brook, is among the leading researchers and writers on men and masculinity. An author or editor of more than twenty volumes, his books include Changing Men: New Directions in Research on Men and Masculinity, The Politics of Manhood, The Gender of Desire, and Manhood in America.

His most recent book, Guyland, is a best-selling investigation of young people’s lives today, based on interviews with more than 400 young men, ages 16-26.

Feminist icon Gloria Steinem says, “Kimmel’s Guyland could save the humanity of many young men – and the sanity of their friends and parents.”

One Response to “Guyland: The Perilous World Where Boys Become Men”

1. 45678 December 6, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

This lecture made me feel very uncomfortable, specifically during Dr. Kimmel’s reference to a certain practice with sexual connotations that takes place in a fraternity’s initiation process. I understand that part of Dr. Kimmel’s intentions in mentioning this odd initiation ritual was probably to shock us and make us aware of how immature some men can be, but perhaps there are other ways to get the point across without causing members of the audience to feel so disturbed by very explicit imagery. I’m sure there are people who disagree with me and I don’t mean to offend Dr. Kimmel, but I think that when speaking in public people should perhaps be a little more discreet in their discussion of certain issues like sex.