Michal Addady '15

Class Outside The Classroom

The professors at F&M have a reputation to uphold, and that is exactly what they do. While at most schools (and, to be fair, in most classes at F&M) the students are trapped inside of a classroom for the entire period, some professors here take their students to the next level, which just happens to be outside of the classroom.

Last semester I took Introduction to Archaeology. In the very beginning of the semester we took a bunch http://cialis7pharmacy-online.com/catalog/Erectile_Dysfunction/Kamagra.htm of random objects and buried them in three different soda bottles – one was filled with soil, one was filled with water, and one was filled with a mixture of the two. The aim of the experiment was cialis generic to see how these things decayed over time. At the very end of the semester, after the objects had been sitting in the soda bottles for about three months, we took the bottles outside and excavated the objects. I cannot describe to you how rancid it smelled but, despite the gagging, it was a lot of fun. It was a very interesting assignment and we all appreciated the fact that we were able to physically take part in some form of archaeology as opposed to simply sitting inside and listening to a lecture. Other students saw what we were doing, and there was a surprising amount of talk about it around campus. People who didn’t know I was in that class would bring up the subject with me, asking, “did you see what that class was doing?” I would happily respond to them by saying that I was in that class, and they would react with jealousy. I’m not going to lie to you – it’s kind of fun to be the object of someone’s envy.

My most recent “out-of-classroom” experience was this semester in my Social Anthropology class. In this class we essentially learn how to study people. So, our professor decided that one day, instead of staying in the classroom and discussing how to study people, we had 30 minutes to leave the classroom, find a location, and simply observe and take notes on what we see. I went to the second floor of Jazzman’s (which is technically abilify dosage now called ZeBi’s, but I just can’t bring myself to call it that), and looked out the large window (picture to come), and simply watched people pass by. It all looked very ordinary to me. I did not see anything that would immediately seem interesting. No one was dancing around or doing anything outrageous or even out of the ordinary. But, when I went back to class and we discussed our observations, I realized that everything I saw was a lot more interesting than it initially clomid seemed. Everything that those people did, they did for a reason. For example, everyone walked along the pathways even though it would have been quicker for them to cut across the grass. There was no sign or anything that said, “Keep off the grass.” It’s just an implicit rule that we all follow, whether we do it consciously or subconsciously. It was fascinating to be able to connect what we were learning to what we experience outside of the classroom.