Michal Addady '15

Stan the Man

This title may be a little misleading. Stan is not, in fact, a man. Stan is short for Stanley, the name of the cutest, funniest, cuddliest, biggest black lab I have ever known. He belongs to the English professor who taught my friend’s first year seminar last year. I’m pretty iffy on the details, but somehow my friend got the privilege of dog-sitting Stanley every week. Each Thursday last semester, walking across the green after getting out of class, I would see this gorgeous dog roaming around. Of course I couldn’t resist the

urge to go play with him, and once I started it took a lot of effort to tear me away. I love dogs, and these play dates with Stanley were easily the highlights of my Thursdays. This became a weekly ritual for us that continues on today. Just this past week, Professor Linder invited the “Stan Fans” to her home for dinner. Over an amazing meal of chicken, salad, pumpkin soup, and ice cream with salted fudge, we sat there and talked for about 2 hours. We spoke about everything from family origins to movies to academics. It was a lot of fun and a really great break from finals week. This is definitely one of my favorite things about F&M. Creating bonds with professors is not something that you can do at every school.